Monday, July 4, 2011

DIY Billy Balls

As you may already know, I am a huge fan of pom poms. I've been meaning to make myself a pom pom bouquet (similar to this one I made Linds for her bday last March) but haven't found the time to get some yarn and make one! I know, it is a pretty simple project but I full of good intentions and less full of enthusiastic project completion skills (aren't we all? or is that just me?). Well - let's add yet another pom pom-esque project to the crafty to do list with these fantastic felt billy balls from Design Sponge:


Aren't they just wonderful? I first saw a vase full of craspedia (the cute yellow flowers this project is mimicking - also called billy balls or billy buttons) as part of another inspiring Room 6 display a while back and have been dreaming of them ever since! I really like the simplicity of this project. Heck, I've even had practice felting before when I decided to make my mom a crocheted and felted fortune cookie when I lived in Nelson! I am sure I can do this! Now to keep my eyes peeled for some yellow gold wool roving. Any suggestions on where I can get my hands on some? Anyone else up for a good craft project?

Oh! And happy July the 4th to all you Americans out there! Hope your day is full of cheery red, white, and blue goodness!

3 comments:

  1. They certainly look pretty. I wonder how hard they would be to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look stylish. I have a vase I could see using too. Maybe we make some when I visit in preparation for my new house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,

    This is my project and I can tell you these are super easy! Here is where you can find my original post (I shot a new photo for Design*Sponge):

    http://dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.com/2011/05/diy-felted-wool-billy-buttons.html

    In the post you will also find a new link to a trouble-shooting post.

    In terms on finding wool rovings, they can easily be acquired online or in wool/knitting shops.

    ReplyDelete